If you like to learn to kitesurf and you are wondering which are the steps of kitesurfing lessons for beginners, here below thay are summarized the main steps of a kite course for beginners:
- Step 1: Kite lessons in the beach or in the shallow water
- Step2 and Step 3: Kite lessons in the water
We can say that kitesurfing is kite control for an 80%. That is why the first step in process of kite learning is to learn properly ho to manage and control a kite. The learning of the kite control starts with a small size kite before to practice with a big kite: in this way the time required to learn this step will decrease going faster to the moment you will start practicing with the board. If possible, it is recommended to start with first step of the kitesurfing lessons at the beach or in a kite spot with shallow water (for exemple the kite spot of Punta Trettu in Sardinia) in order the student can stand up without having to swim or fight the waves.
During step 1 of the kite course for beginner, you will learn:
- Theory – Understanding the goals, the process, and the words needed to communicate. Learn to choose a location, evaluate wind direction, and understand the wind clock.
- Setting up the kite equipment – How to handle the kite and lines from set-up to launch. Learn the difference between pump kites and foil kites.
- Pre-Flight Checks – All the tips you will need to never forget to check everything before launching the kite.
- Assisted launching and landing of a kite – Learn to launch and land with an assistant and the role of both the pilot and the assistant.
- Kite Control – Proper methods of using the control bar and steering the kite, including adjusting the power and de-power of the kite in the wind window.
- Power and de-power – Complete understanding of the wind window. Once kite control is established you will learn the kite placement in the wind window to create power by flying the kite into the power zone, or to reduce power by flying the kite to the edge of the wind window.
- Use of all safety systems, including quick releases.
- Dry water starts – Performing simulated water starts on land under-powered to see the steps and build muscle memory.
After you have mastered the kite skills of the step 1, you are ready to start the kitesurfing lessons in the water. In the step 2 of the kite lessons, you will learn the body drag, the re-launch of the kite from the water, the self rescue, and the water-start with the board.
Step 2 of the kitesurfing lessons
During the step 2 of the kite course for beginners, you will continue to improve the kite piloting and you will learn:
- to pilot the kite with one hand;
- re-launch the kite from the water;
- body dragging including bodydragging downwind and upwind;
- body dragging holding the board;
- Self rescue;
- first water starts with the board.
Step 3 of the kitesurfing lessons
During the step 3 of the kite course for beginners you will:
- improve the relauch the kite from the water;
- continue with the water starts with the boards;
- start to glide on the water;
- learn the right of way rules.